March 05, 2019

I Cried "Uncle"

John Phillips, of the Mamas and Papas Phillips's, wrote the song Me and My Uncle, a staple of Grateful Dead performances, becoming that group's most played song between 1965 and 1995, with 608 performances (a plausible though not personally verified by me amount), which is many more than necessary by my way of thinking, but admittedly offering up scores to choose from if the best ever among all the rest of them is sought from Deadheads who perforce would have experienced a decent sampling during any arbitrary stretch of time during those 30 years had they attended whatever the minimum number of shows it might take to be considered a Deadhead at the time.

I'm pretty sure I was at Winterland for what appears to have been the third performance of Me and My Uncle. I thought it was O.K., however much my pronounced distaste for cowboy music in general ruled against it. That was always going to be the best performance for me. The rest I managed to endure with what patience I could muster under the circumstances.

No comments: